Monday, February 11, 2008

Free gifts, free samples, paid survery scams

Who doesn’t love freebies? The best things in life is FREE! . But is there really a free nowadays? My husband always called me “gullible”. Because I am a kind of person who easily believes and trust. I was scammed by friends who loan money and never pay me back. I have a heart that easily gives when someone is in need and begging. While we are watching a commercial for a wonder bra that can enhance boobs, I told my husband is it really working? he laughs and told me, why you easily believe on those commercials, most of them are not true. So, I want to prove to him that I am not a gullible person. But my gullibilty(my invented word) again, was tested…

As I’m reading a forum discussion on my friendster groups, they mention about freebies and paid surveys. They gave some sites for samples and freebies, paid surveys. There is one who testified that she already got a check for her paid surveys. She even attached the check that she recieved. Then, I figured it out, what do I have to lose if I try it, no money involve, after all, they’re only asking for information on your thoughts and opinions. After filling out some surveys on my first day, I received a lot of spam emails and gift offers like $250 gift cards for simply answering a short survey. I tried it and after answering the first batch of questions theres more and more and more products they are offering, I realized not only this “survey’ be a waste of time, it will be a waste of money too. Because before you qualify for your free gift(the $250 gift card)you need to complete a few special offers that equates to spending time and money on services or products you don’t want. There’s a question there that goes like this ” Do you want a free cellphone?”, I checked the box for “yes”. Then, the following day, they immediately shipped my “free phone”, my husband which is in our house that time (I’m at work) refused the “free phone” stating the deliveryman that we doesn’t need it. And maybe its just a mistake. It was after a month when I received a bill from a certain mobile phone company. I never used a phone or never accepted the delivery, how the hell I have a bill? I emailed the phone company and told them to terminate my account that I never used. They emailed me back that they already terminated my account and apologized for the incoveniences. But after a month, I received a reminder about my bill. We called the phone company, lady that we talked to said that I am responsible for the said bill. We reported it to the BBB.

Here’s what I learned about paid surveys scams, the major way they make money is by selling the participant’s contact information to marketing firms. Then, the marketing firms use that data to send unsolicited mails, emails (this is why the reason I received a lot of spams in email and via mail too), and phone calls ( we received a lot of calls from marketing agencies) to the survery participants. These unwanted advertisements is a real nuisance.

No comments: