Monday, December 8, 2008

Beware

Do you have a Capital One account? You might receive an email telling you to take part in their Christmas Reward Survey and in return they will credit your account $35 -just for your time. I've received an email from Capital One. I mean claiming to be from Capital One. They will give you a link to open and at the beginning I believe it was genuine, because they have the Capital One logo on the site, looks like a real Capital One website, where they will ask you to log in and enter your password. What makes me suspicious is that when I log in, it doesn't fill up my password automatically. In the real Capital One website, everytime I log in my username, my password filled up automatically, which is good because I forgot my password already for a long time now, I paid my monthly bills with that style. Now, back to that link they gave, I tried to log in, and guess a password, and Iwas surprised it opens another link, there you will filled up personal informations, and what makes me more suspicious is that there is a box asking for your account number, there you go......this is generally known as 'Phishing'.

Here's for you to try: this is the link they gave, open that site, try to log in using any names and password, and you will be directed to hoax website(but looks like a real one) and attempt to trick customers into supplying confidential personal information such as account numbers, PIN numbers and passwords.

If you think you've received a hoax email , you can forward it to abuse@capitalone.com. Or if you already supplied your personal information, report it immediately to Capital One. Check your transaction activities everyday. To be sure there's no one using your account.

No comments: