Thursday, April 17, 2008

The importance of Oral Hygiene

Having a great smile and good teeth are so important. Sales people, executive, professionals, performers, students and just about anyone from looking good and feeling better about themselves. I confessed that I was raised without a dental professional checked my teeth. Having a dentist is the last thing in our list, food first. If our tooth aches, we will just do self-treatment like herbal medicines, garlic and pain medicines. We don't care about abscess and gum swelling. As long as our stomach is full and meet our basic necessities.

When I had my first dental check up here in the States, I was so nervous, I knew there will be a lot of work they will do on my teeth. First, they did a lot of x-rays, bite wings x-ray, upper and lower. Then the dental hygienist cleaned my teeth. They knew right away based on the x-ray that I have a dead tooth, and there"s no other choice but to pull it, which I refused because I did not feel anything on that dead tooth, not painful, its normal looking, how come it was dead? The dentist made a simple test just to show me it was really dead, he put an electric stick on one of my "healthy tooth" and I felt a tingling sensation, its painful. Then he tried it on my "dead tooth" and I feel none, no tingling sensation, nothing, no feeling. It means, it's dead. And there's a link on that, it's not that simple that I have just a "dead tooth" They said I will need a biopsy to check if its cancerous. Of course, I felt scared. NO idea that a simple tooth will make a difference. Just found out that there"s a lot of related diseases link to our teeth. So we better not take for granted oral hygiene.

After that, I got numerous dental visits, my biopsy was negative. But since hubby got retired, our dental insurance was stop. And I still have more appointments left. It's embarrassing but I have 2 cavities for treatment. We have to pay for 100% for this, we have no choice, I really need this treatment to save my teeth. I need a smile.

I want to thank Dr. Lattner and his staff for a job well done on my teeth.

No comments: