Thursday, April 17, 2008

PDA


It's not about Parental Drug Association, it's about our Personal Digital Assistant or PDA in the workplace. PDA is a small electronic device which can include some of the functionality of a computer, a cellphone, a music player, and a camera, it's also known as palm top computer. We use PDA in checking attendance of the students at Y(YMCA) in the before and after school age program. We usually leave it at the Y room at the end of each meeting, then use it again in the afternoon. I'm in the afternoon shift, because I have a morning job at the school. Usually I take rest at the Yroom after my work to wait for my shift, anyway it's just 30 minutes waiting, that's perfect for my newspaper reading while taking a break.

This afternoon something weird happened......our PDA was missing. My co-worker, and me were nervously looking for it everywhere in the room, but we had no luck. I was more nervous, all the circumstantial evidence were pointing on me, I am the first one in the room, reading newspaper, taking a rest. Then, it will be my last day of work tomorrow, I already resigned from my job because we will be moving to Wisconsin next week. Or I'm just being paranoid.

Here in this school, no one will get your things even you leave it somewhere, cellphones, cameras, valuable things, it's everywhere, unattended but no one dare to get or attempted to steal those. That's why I can't believe that our PDA was missing. Did I mention we don't have Security Guard in this school? Security Guard is not a popular job here. In fact, all the establishments here in Dubuque has no security guard. So, its' just somewhere, we went to the school office, we inquired who was the last person who went there in the room. They called the 3 person who were the last used the room, and presto one of them got it. I will not reveal his identity here but it serves as a lesson that it's not safe to leave valuable things everywhere.

No comments: