Monday, February 11, 2008

Dubuque, IA.......my home now






Dubuque is an interesting city. It’s Iowa’s oldest city, will celebrate its 175th anniversary next year. And was one of the first settlements west of the Mississippi. However, it’s still very small and isolated. Friends and relatives in the Philippines were not familiar with Dubuque, so I just say 3 hours drive to Chicago (then they will responds, aahh Chicago, ok) Traditionally, the city existed on the back of the river and heavy industry. The workforce is highly unionized but terribly friendly. I’m presently working at Dubuque Community School District and I would say everyone is friendly. At first, I’m expecting a discriminatory treatment because of my color and race, yes, they will stare at me at first, if I go to the Bar, Movies, Shopping Malls, all I get is afriendly stare with nod and smiling faces saying Hi! or Hello, how are you? even they don’t know you, that’s makes me feel one of them.



Here’s a view of National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. If you want to get to know the Mississippi River creatures and Historic Artifacts. We have a very good friends from Chicago who visited us last January, Tom and Liezl Minyo, and Jon thinks this is a good place to visit. Big Aquariums, historical ships, and one thing that fascinated me most is the video about the river people who discovered, lived upon and celebrated the waterways of United States. Louis and Clark plus the charming Sacagawea. (she’s charming in the movie, Night of the Museum). Then we went to Dyersville, the Field of Dreams movie site, which stars Kevin Costner. Also, the movie Take this Job and Shove it was filmed in Dubuque.

No comments: