Monday, February 11, 2008

I won 1 million

I received the following email. At first glance I know it is a fraud . But to tell you the truth theres this thing inside myself that whoaa maybe this is real and I really won. This money will help my family in the Philippines. I am in the denial state, that this is not a hoax, so instead of ignoring this, I use my precious time to verify this first. First, I googled the Lottery Promotion Sponsor, and I’ve got a lot of testimonials from the victims. Here’s the email that I received:

CONGRATULATION!!! YOUR E-MAIL HAS WON Standard Header Full Message
View SA LOTTERY PROMOTION Add Monday, November 26, 2007 12:44:00 PM
To:Cc:

Congratulation”you have won $1,000,000,00.One Million US dollars winning No:24/2/6/37/15/45 with a ticket number: B9665 75604546 199 in the just concluded draw held to promote South African 2010 World Cup,please call your claim Agent MR.SMITH NELSON Email: smithnelson@hotmail.co.uk Tel:+27 72 727 6662 Give your agent this info: your Name,Address,winning number,Telephone,Age, Sex,Nationality,Company,and Occupation.Yours Sincerely,Mrs rebecca zuma(Zonal cordinator

The same email was received by the victims, however, they answered them, and they soon found out that they have to pay some fee in order to get the winning millions. Then comes the second fee, third fee, and fourth fee, etc. etc. No one has ever received the millions, but many have lost lots of money, and some have even stop their studies, ruin their families, and worst got killed. This so called “Advance Fee Fraud” has become an industry in South Africa, Nigeria and the surrounding countries. Another common name is “419 fraud” after Section 419 of the Nigerian Penal code, the section that specifically prohibits this fraud.

This fraud is difficult to stop, but we can have some fun and have the criminals use their time in vain. That is called scambaiting.

No comments: