Monday, February 11, 2008

Snow Pains

I had only 3 days work last week because of Winter Storms. They cancelled Wednesday and Thursday School. And who wants to go out with below zero temperature plus blowing chilly snows? So as expected, I will be staying home all day but as I can see the snow accumulating in our front yard, driveway, parking spot, and most importantly the sidewalk, I decided to get the shovel and try shovelling coz' I don't want to walk in the snow tomorrow when the school resumes. As I can see some neighbors having fun doing it, there's an excitement for me, my first time to do it.





Haven’t tried it before, very confident that I will be enjoying doing it, our pathway from the door to the sidewalk streets is like 15 yards, (see right photos,our house is far from the street, this is long enough compared to the houses that I see here). And this season, the snowfall amount is unusually high compared to my first winter last year. While most can feel the burn of a hard day of shovelling and realize the stress it can put on your back, few realize the severity of this strain, including me. I’m on my halfway when I feel the strain in my back but I want to finish it quickly as possible. I alternately used both my left and right hands but still the excessive stress on my spine is really hurting me. That night, my lower back is really bad, more when I stoop or bend. I realize a combination of factor contribute to the strain put on the lower back by shovelling. The repetition of throwing heavy snow from the shovel, as well as simultaneously twisting and rotating the spine and lifting excessive weight of snow to get the job done faster, all add to strain and discomfort on the lower portion of the spine.

So, I made an adjustments to put my spine back on track, simple stretching to reduce the strain. I think I will never do shovelling again, or its just I did it the wrong way. My husband even told me that its a man’s work ( I disagree, I told him women can do it too). So, in order how to it the right way, here are some tips:

Some shovelling tips:

  • If you experience pain or any kind, stop immediately.
  • Be sure that your shovel has a curved handle, as this enables you to keep your back straighter when shovelling.
  • Push the snow–do not lift it. Pushing puts far less strain on the spine than lifting.
    Be sure your muscles are warm before you start shovelling. Cold, tight muscles are more likely to strain than warm, relaxed muscles.
    When you grip the shovel, make sure your hands are at least 12 inches apart. By creating distance between your hands, you increase your leverage and reduce strain on your body.
  • Your shovelling technique is important. If you must lift the snow, lift if properly. Squat with your legs apart, knees bent and back straight. Lift with your legs. Do not bend at the waist.
  • Never throw snow over your shoulder.
  • Remember that wet snow can be very heavy. One full shovel load can weigh as much as 25 pounds.
  • Pace yourself by taking frequent breaksto gently stretch your back, arms, and legs.
  • Consider buying a snow-blower. When used correctly, a snow blower will put far less strain on your back than snow shovelling. (source: Colorado Spine Institute)

No comments: