Monday, February 11, 2008

Thanksgiving Day...... Americans are pretty lucky


I can’t forget the month I arrived here in the States, its November, the month for Thanksgiving. I was fascinated the way they celebrate it, its like Christmas too, a time for family get-together, lots of food in the table like cranberry jellies, sauce, and the traditional turkey roast with stuffing or dressings, mashed potato and gravy with rolls, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, fruits and veggies.
Oh my, and a lot more, this day you must forget about calories, just eat and enjoy.

Now, my second Thanksgiving here, I understand more the true meaning of this day. Thanksgiving is one time of year Americans remember to be thankful for the staggering bounty of food they enjoy, imagine some 800 million(just guessing the figure) or more people around the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition. The United States is far and away the biggest supplier of food aid to the world.

And speaking of amazing cities, most of it are right here in the States, the biggest communities are world renowned destinations for arts and culture, architecture, cuisine, entertainment, sports and natural attractions. And right now, at this place where I am now(Dubuque), I can described it as a great place to raise a family, clean air and water, green hillsides, low crime rates, friendly people and not much traffic are those few things that must be thankful for.

I want to thank friends and families who came and celebrate the Thanksgiving with us. My stepdaughters, Shelby and Ashley, our good friend Joan and daughter Kari. YOu made our Thanksgiving complete and fun. To Maria Scarlet who greets us, Tonee of Fairfield, Gregg and Lorna, Liezl and Tom from Illinois and Sofie & Arby. Although Sofie and Arby(my filipino buddies) cooked lechon baboy instead of traditional trukey roast. They invited me over but, I did not make it because one day is not enough for us to celebrate it. Instead I asked them to save a lechon baboy for me.

No comments: